openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database versions
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:23:26 GMT
> and IMO the standard definition (like "postgres") should be taken. I would
> prefer, if the user would be able to specify a more detailed definition like
> "postgres81" , instead of having to override their own schema (and there are
> some minor changes between the revisions).

Historically, we've put various compatibility properties into the
particular dictionary class. Any public fields or setter / getter
pairs can be accessed from the DBDictionary configuration:

    openjpa.DBDictionary: postgres(supportsSubqueries=false)

for example. We haven't usually done version numbers, since desired
settings are really normally more of a version range, not a particular
number. But, I could definitely see a case for something like so:

    openjpa.DBDictionary: postgres(version=8.0)

Then, in the DBDictionary, various behaviors could be toggled based on
the fact that the person is using a version < 8.1, for example.

Generally

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907