openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PCRegistry ClassLoader memory leak
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:51:09 GMT

On Jul 18, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2007, at 5:32 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>

>> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the problem is essentially
>> that we have a Map of SomeClass:Object->Object->...->SomeClass,
>> and therefore SomeClass can never be garbage collected, regardless
>> of whether the keys in the Map are soft or weak, and regardless of
>> whether the class' ClassLoader is referenced elsewhere or not.
>>
>> Another possible solution might be to find every place where we
>> have a Class field that could possibly be set to a
>> PersistenceCapable, and turn them all into a WeakReference<Class>.
>> I haven't checked to see how big a change that would be, but it
>> might be one of the simpler solutions (and it might be faster than
>> storing the class name as a String and doing a Class.forName()
>> every time we need access to the Class object).
>
> There are two categories of references that are keeping
> ClassLoaders alive.
>
> (1) References to classes (i.e. Meta fields pcClass, fieldTypes[],
> and pcSuper). These can all be wrapped fairly easily using
> WeakReferences. I've fixed these, locally.

Sounds good.

> (2) References to objects (i.e Meta.pc). This is a problem. Meta.pc
> is the only reference to the PersistenceCapable object. Since
> Meta.pc is the only reference to the PersistenceCapable object, it
> can't be a WeakReference.
>
> Any thoughts on fixing the problem with Meta.pc? Does it need to be
> an object? Can we generate an instance of PersistenceCapable as
> needed?

That is unfortunate. To my knowledge, the only reason we need to keep
around an instance of the object is that it is easy to construct new
instances using PersistenceCapable.pcNewInstance() without having to
use reflection each time or worry about security. I'm not sure of any
way around this.

> Or, on a different tack, can PCRegistry be made non-static?
> Associated with the PU, for instance?

I personally think it would be nice if we could get rid of PCRegistry
being static. However, this part of the problem with the Meta.pc
issue in the previous paragraph: the static initializer of any
enhanced persistent class will do:

    PCRegistry.register(MyClass.class, pcFieldNames, pcFieldTypes,
pcFieldFlags, pcPCSuperclass, "MyClass", new MyClass());

If PCRegistry weren't static, then we wouldn't be able to do this.

Also, I think there are a number of places where we rely on
PCRegistry being static for other reasons. I think it would be nice
to get rid of these, but that project might be too large a scope just
to fix this bug.