openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 1.0 steps?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:04:01 GMT
I think we need to first go through the list of JIRA issues for 0.9.8
and 1.0.0 and really think hard about whether they should be fixed or
not.

We also need a release manager (a person who will do what Marc and
Mike did for 0.9.6 and 0.9.7).

Maybe we should post the list of proposed deferred JIRA issues for
discussion and then move them. I like the idea of defining both a
1.0.1 and 1.1.0 release target to which to defer issues.

I think once there is consensus on the non-deferred issues and an
identified JIRA owner for them, the release manager can propose when
to make a branch. Once the branch is cut, fixes would have to be made
in both branch and trunk, so it's not a trivial decision.

Maybe a wiki with a table of JIRA issues and proposed target release
and some justification (with author's name) would be useful. It's not
too hard to set up but still might not be worth the effort.

Craig

On Jul 9, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

>> What is remaining to get to a 1.0 release? Are there any things in
>> particular that people think are important to work on? Maybe it's
>> about time for us to create a branch for 1.0 finalization and
>> hardening.
>

> This probably depends on what our goal is for a 1.0 release.  If
> it's just
> to have a 1.0 release since we graduated to a TLP, then we're
> probably close
> to starting that process.  But, if we are looking for a certain
> level and
> hardness of function, then we still may have a fews things to clean
> up.  I'm
> okay with going for a 1.0 release just to have one, but I would
> then like to
> start working on defining the follow-on release (1.0.1 or 1.1).
>
> No matter what type of 1.0 release we decide to go for, maybe we
> should
> incorporate the voting mechanism within JIRA to help determine what
> Issues
> are important?  I am not totally familiar with this process, but it
> allows
> users to vote on the Issues that are most important to them.  Each
> user is
> allowed a certain number of votes (to keep them from voting for "all"
> Issues).  We can use that as input to our selection criteria.
>
> But, before we open up for a vote, do we need some time to review
> all of the
> open Issues and assert 1.0 vs post-1.0?  Something along the lines
> of what
> Patrick did for the previous release?  I just find it kind of
> difficult to
> be working on various problems and then "ding", the timer goes off
> and we've
> cut off development for a given release.  It's probably time to start
> working out a candidate release cycle and content.
>
> Kevin

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!