openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on Apache and GPL compatibility
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:46:55 GMT
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Jun 4, 2007, at 2:24 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 6/4/07, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
> >> FYI. This is a significant development in licensing. For the first
> >> time, an Apache license is compatible with a GPL license.
> >
> > it's been a long and hard road but it looks like we may have made it
> > to the end, in the end :-)
> >
> > thanks to everyone involved
> >
> >> I don't have a "details url".
> >
> > i'm not quite sure what you mean
>
> I mean that AFAIK there's no FAQ posted anywhere. I know there are
> discussions going on on other email lists but no definitive FAQ has
> been published.

IMHO it's hard to be definitive right now for the following reasons:

1. GPL3 is still only a draft and is subject to change

2. the members are currently electing a new apache board

3. compatibility is mostly about the software libre movement's view of
the AL2. what matters more than the legal arguments is that the FSF is
clearly satisfied that AL2'd source can be included within a GPL3'd
work. with this blessing, it's ethical to create such works.

i hope to help create a set of use cases but it will take a little
while since it needs to be done in conjunction with the FSF. probably
best to make this ad hoc working group public.

- robert