openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for a few good database users
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2007 07:18:20 GMT
On 6/1/07, David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com> wrote:
> Hi, all.  As Sun's database architect for NetBeans, part of my role is
> to understand what database tooling features we should add to NetBeans
> to help make it a rad, awesome tool for developers using databases.

one general observation i have on this is that very tight tooling
integration between IDEs and data-access is a missing bit of the
jigsaw ATM. when i see developers grappling with data access issues,
they have to cut bits of SQL from logs and then paste into an IDE.

perhaps it might be possible to develop a monitor logging API which
would allow interested tools to observe the SQL as it is being
executed.

this would be an ideal complement to being able to jump from a data
access object to the mapped database tables etc within a debugger etc.

- robert