openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Fong <jackf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Generate DDL without DB connection
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:33:14 GMT
Thanks for your reply Marc.  With your suggestion, I can now generate a
schema XML file without any DB connection.  But when I try to use the
SchemaTool to generate a SQL file, I am getting this error message again:

INFO: OpenJPA will now connect to the database to attempt to determine what
type of database dictionary to use.  To prevent this connection in the
future, set your openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary configuration property to the
appropriate value for your database (see the documentation for available
values).
Exception in thread "main" <4|true|0.0.0>
org.apache.openjpa.util.UserException:
 A JDBC Driver or DataSource class name must be specified in the
ConnectionDriverName property.
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.DataSourceFactory.newDataSource(DataSourceFactory.java:67)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.conf.JDBCConfigurationImpl.createConnectionFactory(JDBCConfigurationImpl.java:797)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.conf.JDBCConfigurationImpl.getDBDictionaryInstance(JDBCConfigurationImpl.java:563)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.XMLSchemaParser.<init>(XMLSchemaParser.java:121)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaTool.run(SchemaTool.java:1439)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaTool.run(SchemaTool.java:1391)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.schema.SchemaTool.main(SchemaTool.java:1336)

Please notice that I do have a Derby Embedded Database ready on my file
system and OpenJPA can connect anytime it needs to, and here is a fragment
of my META-INF/persistence.xml file that describes the datasource setting:
            <property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary" value=
"org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.DerbyDictionary"/>
            <property name="openjpa.ConnectionUserName" value="user"/>
            <property name="openjpa.ConnectionPassword" value="secret"/>
            <property name="openjpa.ConnectionDriverName" value=
"org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"/>
            <property name="openjpa.ConnectionURL" value=
"jdbc:derby:d:/abc/hellojpa-database"/>

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Jack

 /
 /

 /  Jack Fong
 /  jackfong@ca.ibm.com
 /
 /  Software Developer, Rational/AIM WebSphere, Java EE Application Tools
    IBM Canada Ltd.
 /  905-413-3930 (T/L 969)
 /  D3/RKB/8200/MKM
 /
 /
 /
 /
 /
 /

 / (Embedded image moved to file: pic16211.gif)  (Embedded image moved to
 / file: pic14600.gif)

             "Marc
             Prud'hommeaux"
             <mprudhom@apache.                                          To
             org>                      open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org
             Sent by: "Marc                                             cc
             Prud'hommeaux"
             <mprudhomapache@g                                     Subject
             mail.com>                 Re: Generate DDL without DB
                                       connection

             05/30/2007 11:19
             PM

             Please respond to
             open-jpa-dev@incu
             bator.apache.org

Unfortunately, you do need to be able to connect to a database in
order to generate a SQL DDL. I think it would be a pretty minor
project to remove this restriction, but as of right now, it exists.

Note that you can generate a database-independent schema XML file
without connecting to any database, e.g. with:

java org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingTool -action buildSchema -
schemaAction none -DBDictionary oracle -schemaFile schema.xml
com.company.MyEntity

With that file, you can later use the SchemaTool to build the schema.