openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <>
Subject Re: Enforcing JDK 1.4-specific modules
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:35:27 GMT

We were already setting the "source" and "target" flags to "1.4" for
the 1.4 modules, but that only enforces language-level restrictions
(e.g., it would raise an error if you tried to use generics or
autoboxing), it doesn't check to make sure you didn't use an API
method that doesn't exist in 1.4. In order to validate that, say, you
didn't call String.contains() (which is new in 1.5), you need to use
the bootclasspath argument to provide the 1.4 runtime jar so that
that level of verification can take place.

On Jun 13, 2007, at 10:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> There is a maven flag that you can put into maven's
> that specifies the level of jdk to use for that
> project.
> maven.compile.source = 1.4
> = 1.4
> This can be dropped into those projects that we want to compile
> with 1.4. This will enforce the dependency at compile time.
> Craig
> On Jun 13, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>> We recently had some problems where JDK 1.5-specific methods
>> (e.g., String.contains(String)) were slipping into JDK 1.4-
>> specific modules. This isn't a problem for stand-alone OpenJPA
>> (whose only implementation is JPA, which is JDK 1.5-dependent),
>> but other products built on OpenJPA may still support JDK 1.4.
>> To that end, I've added a 'java14.jar' property to the pom.xml
>> files that can be used to specify the location of the JDK 1.4
>> runtime jar, against which we will compile the JDK 1.4-specific
>> modules. Since the location of the JDK 1.4 runtime jar is
>> platform- and installation- dependent, we can't just rely on a
>> single location (nor is there any maven-friendly JDK 1.4 runtime
>> jar that I am aware of), the flag needs to be specified manually.
>> Note that the flag will be silently ignored when it is
>> unspecified, which I expect will be the common case for most
>> OpenJPA developers. You only need to use it if you are interested
>> in ensuring that any code you add to JDK 1.4 modules won't break
>> 1.4 compatibility.
> Craig Russell
> Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System
> 408 276-5638