openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Enforcing JDK 1.4-specific modules
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:50:08 GMT
Hi Marc,

Ah, you are right. I looked at the projects and didn't see the
project.properties where the compile.source and target properties
are. They are also in the pom.xml though in the build plugins.

But why should this be a choice of developers? I'd think that either
we would want to enforce this restriction for the project or not. If
we leave it up to developers' choice then someone will eventually
have to come around and fix up the 1.5 dependencies. Is that what we
want?

Craig

On Jun 13, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Craig-
>
> We were already setting the "source" and "target" flags to "1.4"
> for the 1.4 modules, but that only enforces language-level
> restrictions (e.g., it would raise an error if you tried to use
> generics or autoboxing), it doesn't check to make sure you didn't
> use an API method that doesn't exist in 1.4. In order to validate
> that, say, you didn't call String.contains() (which is new in 1.5),
> you need to use the bootclasspath argument to provide the 1.4
> runtime jar so that that level of verification can take place.
>

> On Jun 13, 2007, at 10:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> There is a maven flag that you can put into maven's
>> project.properties that specifies the level of jdk to use for that
>> project.
>>
>> maven.compile.source = 1.4
>> maven.compile.target = 1.4
>>
>> This can be dropped into those projects that we want to compile
>> with 1.4. This will enforce the dependency at compile time.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Jun 13, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>

>>> We recently had some problems where JDK 1.5-specific methods
>>> (e.g., String.contains(String)) were slipping into JDK 1.4-
>>> specific modules. This isn't a problem for stand-alone OpenJPA
>>> (whose only implementation is JPA, which is JDK 1.5-dependent),
>>> but other products built on OpenJPA may still support JDK 1.4.
>>>
>>> To that end, I've added a 'java14.jar' property to the pom.xml
>>> files that can be used to specify the location of the JDK 1.4
>>> runtime jar, against which we will compile the JDK 1.4-specific
>>> modules. Since the location of the JDK 1.4 runtime jar is
>>> platform- and installation- dependent, we can't just rely on a
>>> single location (nor is there any maven-friendly JDK 1.4 runtime
>>> jar that I am aware of), the flag needs to be specified manually.
>>>
>>> Note that the flag will be silently ignored when it is
>>> unspecified, which I expect will be the common case for most
>>> OpenJPA developers. You only need to use it if you are interested
>>> in ensuring that any code you add to JDK 1.4 modules won't break
>>> 1.4 compatibility.
>>>

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com