openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] use backport-concurrent instead of repackaged concurrent classes
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:55:06 GMT

On Jun 4, 2007, at 6:39 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> I'm allergic to re-namespacing... why do you think that we should
> do so?

Avoiding collisions. The majority case is that people don't care
about the extra 327k but they care a lot about not hitting conflicts
with libraries. Dug Lea's libraries are not a great example of this,
but Hibernate *is* a good example -- it relies on EHCache by default,
going from 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2 is a major non-backwards compatible
change, and you cannot use EHCache 1.2 with 3.0, so you are trapped
unable to upgrade dependencies. Weblogic and ANTLR (a couple versions
back) is another great example.

Basically, if you are a library (which OpenJPA is) you want to
minimize the degree to which you place constraints on the runtime
environment of your users. I can easily imagine someone using a home-
rolled build of the concurrent backport which was subtly
incompatible. Yes, your user could renamespace then, but it is better
if they *never have the issue*

-Brian