openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Enforcing JDK 1.4-specific modules
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:21:56 GMT
There is a maven flag that you can put into maven's
project.properties that specifies the level of jdk to use for that
project.

maven.compile.source = 1.4
maven.compile.target = 1.4

This can be dropped into those projects that we want to compile with
1.4. This will enforce the dependency at compile time.

Craig

On Jun 13, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> We recently had some problems where JDK 1.5-specific methods (e.g.,
> String.contains(String)) were slipping into JDK 1.4-specific
> modules. This isn't a problem for stand-alone OpenJPA (whose only
> implementation is JPA, which is JDK 1.5-dependent), but other
> products built on OpenJPA may still support JDK 1.4.
>
> To that end, I've added a 'java14.jar' property to the pom.xml
> files that can be used to specify the location of the JDK 1.4
> runtime jar, against which we will compile the JDK 1.4-specific
> modules. Since the location of the JDK 1.4 runtime jar is platform-
> and installation- dependent, we can't just rely on a single
> location (nor is there any maven-friendly JDK 1.4 runtime jar that
> I am aware of), the flag needs to be specified manually.
>
> Note that the flag will be silently ignored when it is unspecified,
> which I expect will be the common case for most OpenJPA developers.
> You only need to use it if you are interested in ensuring that any
> code you add to JDK 1.4 modules won't break 1.4 compatibility.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!