openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Looking for a few good database users
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:51:15 GMT
Hi Robert,

On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:18 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 6/1/07, David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com> wrote:
>> Hi, all.  As Sun's database architect for NetBeans, part of my
>> role is
>> to understand what database tooling features we should add to
>> NetBeans
>> to help make it a rad, awesome tool for developers using databases.
>
> one general observation i have on this is that very tight tooling
> integration between IDEs and data-access is a missing bit of the
> jigsaw ATM. when i see developers grappling with data access issues,
> they have to cut bits of SQL from logs and then paste into an IDE.

I totally agree. It's far too hard to figure out what your ORM is
doing for you.

> perhaps it might be possible to develop a monitor logging API which
> would allow interested tools to observe the SQL as it is being
> executed.

That's one of the things that's missing for sure. The other is
performance metrics and helpful hints like "turn on connection
pooling" if it's not already on.

> this would be an ideal complement to being able to jump from a data
> access object to the mapped database tables etc within a debugger etc.

And a tool bench to execute the JPAQL just like you would execute the
SQL with a live connection.

Craig

> - robert

Craig Russell