openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tools for maintaining OpenJPA documentation
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:47:02 GMT
Kevin-

Personally, I've never found an XML editing tool that had good
support for maintaining the format and preserving the chunking style
of our docbook, but I haven't looked again at tools in the past
couple of years: there may have been improvements to docbook tooling
since that time. If you do wind up researching this, I for one would
be interested in hearing about your results.

For editing docbook, I just use an text editor, and then periodically
use the "xmllint" console application to ensure that I haven't
violated the DTD. I believe xmllint is available for all platforms,
and I use the following command:

    xmllint --noout --valid openjpa-project/src/doc/manual/manual.xml

That just validates syntax. Once I have made a major edit, you can
just build the docs and make sure they look OK to you (you might need
to first increase memory by setting MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m):

   mvn -f openjpa-project/pom.xml process-resources -Pdocbook-profile

It's hardly a WYSIWYG process, but once you are comfortable with the
docbook XML format, I've found that using a plain text editor is good
enough.