openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DB2 support
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 20:11:28 GMT

On May 9, 2007, at 6:09 AM, Michael Dick wrote:

> OK, now that I found the relevant section in the documentation I
> understand
> what William is asking for.
>
> What level of testing do we need to do before we can add a new
> version of
> DB2 to the list of supported databases? Is just running our unit
> test bucket
> sufficient to add a new database to the list or do we need a more
> formal
> process?

Well, since we're an open source project, the only formal process is
what we as a community decide to do. My personal opinion is that if
someone runs tests that pass on a database, that's sufficient to say
that we support it.

Of course, "support" in an open source project is a matter of
interpretation. If someone has a problem, we basically tell them that
they should file a JIRA, provide a reproducible test case, and
provide a patch licensed to Apache that fixes the issue. One of the
committers will review the patch and check it in if they like it.

Now, support for a product based on OpenJPA is a completely different
matter, and the Apache OpenJPA project doesn't really have an opinion.

Craig

> On 5/9/07, Michael Dick <michael.d.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi William,
>>
>> I have been running OpenJPA against DB2 v9 with no major issues,
>> and I
>> believe others on the forums have been doing so as well.
>> Admittedly this
>> isn't a certification, but it's at least anecdotal evidence that
>> DB2 v9 will
>> work.
>>
>> For KODO I'd have to refer you to BEA's support statement, but I'd be
>> surprised if they did not support DB2 as well.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "cases" to run OpenJPA/KODO on DB2. If
>> you're looking for instructions on how to run the OpenJPA unit
>> tests against
>> DB2 I can help you with that. If you'd prefer to try running your own
>> application against DB2 all you need to do is add the appropriate
>> connection
>> properties to persistence.xml :
>>
>> Something like this should work.
>> . . .
>>     <properties>
>>          . . .
>>          <property name="openjpa.ConnectionDriverName"  value="
>> com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver " />
>>          <property name="openjpa.ConnectionURL"
>> value="jdbc:db2://localhost:50000/TEST" />
>>          <property name="openjpa.ConnectionUserName"
>> value="db2user" />
>>          <property name="openjpa.ConnectionPassword"
>> value="db2password"
>> />
>>          . . .
>>      </properties>
>> . . .
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael DIck
>>
>> On 5/9/07, William Cai <caiwl@acm.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi list,
>> > AFAIK,
>> > the latest DB2 version is DB2 enterprise server edition V9.1.
>> But but
>> > current OpenJDK only supports DB2 UDB v8.1. Do we have any plans to
>> > certify DB2 UDB V8.2 and DB2 v9 recently? Or more realistically
>> -- are
>> > there any cases to run OpenJPA/KODO on DB2 UDB v8.2 or DB2 v9?
>> >
>> > Any input is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > William
>> >

>> >                         Database Name