openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generate DDL without DB connection
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 03:19:47 GMT

Unfortunately, you do need to be able to connect to a database in
order to generate a SQL DDL. I think it would be a pretty minor
project to remove this restriction, but as of right now, it exists.

Note that you can generate a database-independent schema XML file
without connecting to any database, e.g. with:

java org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingTool -action buildSchema -
schemaAction none -DBDictionary oracle -schemaFile schema.xml
com.company.MyEntity

With that file, you can later use the SchemaTool to build the schema.