openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Historical Session
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 16:53:42 GMT
Hi,

On May 22, 2007, at 5:59 AM, Ricardo Andere de Mello wrote:

> anyway, the "selected automatically" part is not simple. ;-)
> every relatioship must be historical and means you will need a join
> table to
> do it.

I haven't studied this in detail, but it seems that if you have a
foreign key in one table that refers directly to another table, and
if you select the historically correct rows from each table, then a
join table isn't needed. This works even in the case of changing the
foreign key value, since the historically correct version of the row
has the correct foreign key value.

What case requires a separate join table?

Regards,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com