openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Packaging with maven
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 13:55:32 GMT
Some comments below

> I'd like reopen the discussion on how to package and name our
> artifacts. I think the current setup could be improved, to give a
> better experience for users who might not be using maven for
> dependency management. It's easy for us to change now before
> graduation because once we graduate, people will need to update their
> dependencies anyway so there are no backward compatibility issues.
>
> The name of the single jar that has all of the openjpa stuff in it
> except for the documentation and examples is currently called openjpa-
> all. This name is confusing because unless they RTFM, people don't
> really know that it's not all the code you need, just all the jpa
> code. So I'd like to call this artifact openjpa.

+1

But we already have a project with that name, and that project builds
> the distributions. So I'd rename the current openjpa to openjpa-dist.
> Its ultimate destination in the Apache mirror structure is under
> www.apache.org/dist/openjpa once we graduate, so having dist in the
> project name helps understanding that this project builds the
> artifacts that go into dist. Separate from the artifacts that are
> published via maven.

+1

Finally, the openjpa-all jar includes its subcomponents as
> dependencies. I think this is wrong, since you end up with a class
> path with openjpa-all.jar as well as openjpa-kernel.jar and all the
> others.

I would like to change this too. I did a little experimenting and it looks
like the dependencies aren't needed in openjpa-all, but they are needed for
openjpa-project (to populate the lib directory). Moving the dependencies
into openjpa-project should be safe.

We're also going to need to change the deploy logic to strip out the
-project suffix from the zip files. We've talked about it before when I was
releasing 0.9.7 (and before that when Marc was working on 0.9.6), but I
haven't had time to look into it. It should be fairly easy to make the
change.

Thoughts?

> Craig
>
> Craig Russell