openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@SUN.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Packaging with maven
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 12:02:22 GMT
I'd like reopen the discussion on how to package and name our
artifacts. I think the current setup could be improved, to give a
better experience for users who might not be using maven for
dependency management. It's easy for us to change now before
graduation because once we graduate, people will need to update their
dependencies anyway so there are no backward compatibility issues.

The name of the single jar that has all of the openjpa stuff in it
except for the documentation and examples is currently called openjpa-
all. This name is confusing because unless they RTFM, people don't
really know that it's not all the code you need, just all the jpa
code. So I'd like to call this artifact openjpa.

But we already have a project with that name, and that project builds
the distributions. So I'd rename the current openjpa to openjpa-dist.
Its ultimate destination in the Apache mirror structure is under
www.apache.org/dist/openjpa once we graduate, so having dist in the
project name helps understanding that this project builds the
artifacts that go into dist. Separate from the artifacts that are
published via maven.

Finally, the openjpa-all jar includes its subcomponents as
dependencies. I think this is wrong, since you end up with a class
path with openjpa-all.jar as well as openjpa-kernel.jar and all the
others.

Thoughts?

Craig

Craig Russell