openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Phill Moran" <pjmo...@rogers.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 17:50:18 GMT
Would we then not have to change the overall name from JPA to openPersistence or
some such? Why not let another project lift out the engine and adapt JDO/SDO/ETC
and maybe we remerge the projects later.
Maybe this idea works if we can fully separate the API from the persistence
engine as it does not make sense to go into production with several unused API
being deployed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dain Sundstrom [mailto:dain@iq80.com]
Sent: May 4, 2007 1:37 PM
To: open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

I personally define OpenJPA by the persistence engine and not the spec it
implements.  A good persistence engine is very hard to write, but adapting it to
new persistence specs if fairly easy in comparison.  I would like to see the
scope be limited to java persistence with an eye toward the current JPA space,
but want the project to have the freedom to implement JDO, CMP, SDO or any java
persistence spec that pops up.

Said another way, if this project decides to implement JDO, should it have to go
into another TLP or a sub project?

-dain