thanks pinaki,

as a test, i removed Page.book as an @Id, and made the corresponding change in PageId (removed the book field of type PageId). this caused the class cast exception below to go away. so, it does appear to have some relation of to the use of the composite ID within a composite ID, although you're right it might be a completely different issue.

this is with a trunk (as of this morning) build of openjpa.

i have attached the log you asked for. nothing stood out. i can also pass along a maven2 project that contains the test case that fails if that helps. i can't see to attach it here directly though as apache's spam filter doesn't like it. let me know.

thanks again.

Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@bea.com> wrote:
Jeff,
1. The errors look rather unrelated to original problem of composite
id.
2. The errors apparently caused by enviroment setup, so please
a) get a clean 0.9.7 openjpa (either building locally from the
source, or pre-built jars from the openjpa web-site)
b) if the error persists, report with trace-level logging
(property name="openjpa.Log" value="DefaultLevel=TRACE"/>
and complete stack trace.

Pinaki Poddar
BEA Systems
415.402.7317