openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.7-incubating release
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:48:58 GMT
Craig--

  Thanks for the comments -- comments on comments below.  :)

Eddie

> Hi Eddie,
>
> On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:46 AM, Eddie O'Neil wrote:
>
> > The release is looking good with two items that should be addressed
> > and some nits.  :)
> >
> > Major issues:
> > - Mike's GPG key is present in site/docs/KEYS but this file needs to
> > be copied to http://incubator.apache.org/openjpa/KEYS as well.  This
> > will make it easier to verify releases and matches the instructions on
> > the download page.
>
> I agree. This doesn't hold up the release since it's a parallel
> activity.

[eko] Agreed -- this is just a file copy that should just be done
before calling for an iPMC vote.

> > Minor issues:
> > - The Maven2 repo contains two directories that probably shouldn't be
> > part of the release --
> > examples/ and tck/
>
>   If you're using maven, it's unlikely that these will be of
> interest, but I don't have any problem with including these in the
> maven repo, regardless of how useful (or not) they might be there.

[eko] Yeah, you're right that neithre of these are big deals -- just
empty directories.  I did wonder if the TCK directory had anything
that TCK-related that shouldn't be public (like how to run it), but
I'll defer to you and Geir here.

> > - The .rsrc files don't have licenses -- we've discussed this before
> > (even in this thread!).  This isn't a big deal, just expect the iPMC
> > to bring it up again.
>
> It might be well to post the results of our discussion with the VOTE
> for IPMC to approve release, just so people are aware that we know
> about it and have discussed it and our mentors agree that it's going
> to be fixed but not today.

[eko] Agreed -- we can also just send IDs from the last vote where we
addressed this.

> > - The JPA XSDs are CDDL licensed and are included in the distribution.
> > IMHO, these should be cleanroom'ed so that the question just goes
> > away.
> > Like the .rsrc files, this has come up before and not been an
> > issue.
>
> I don't believe that it's possible to clean room these files. They
> have a perfectly compatible license. These are specified reference
> files, not an implementation that can have independent IP. So I don't
> think it's worthwhile to try to clean room them.

[eko] Okay -- the reason I keep bringing these up is because of
Cliff's 3rd party licensing site and how it makes a distinction
between src / binary wrt CDDL:
  http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
We're definitely compliant with the NOTICE part of this.