openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Possible problem with ddl with only a jta-datasource and sequences
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:52:40 GMT
Using derby, jta transactions (in geronimo), a table sequence,
autocreation of tables, and only a jta-datasource, I get errors
complaining that the sequence table doesn't exist.

Caused by: org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.ReportingSQLException: Table/
View 'OPENJPASEQ' does not exist. {SELECT SEQUENCE_VALUE FROM
OPENJPASEQ WHERE ID = ? FOR UPDATE WITH RR} [code=20000, state=42X05]

If I supply a non-jta-datasource everything works fine.

My current theory about why this is happening is that the ddl to
create all the tables is executed in a connection from the jta-
datasource that's enrolled in a jta transaction.  Then we go to get
an id from the sequence, the jta transaction is suspended, and a new
tx is started, in which the ddl is not visible since the jta tx
wasn't committed. (apparently ddl in derby is transactional)

Does this seem like a reasonable explanation?

I'm going to look for a way to run the ddl inside a separate
transaction that can be committed, the same as how sequences work
without a non-jta-datasource.  One way to do this would be to package
the work up in a Runnable and execute it in an  appropriate
transactional environment.  It might be easier to understand if the
sequence code had a similar implementation.

thanks
david jencks