openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject OPENJPA-182: reuse Connection constants or create our own?
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:47:29 GMT
Hi,

There's one last open issue for OPENJPA-182 that I know of. Currently,
the JDBCFetchPlan.setIsolation() and
JDBCFetchConfiguration.setIsolation() methods use the symbolic constants
defined in Connection. Should they, or should we use our own?

I think that JDBCFetchPlan should take a Java 5 enum, and
JDBCFetchConfiguration should use the Connection values. The reasons for
this are:

1. enums are nicer than symbolic constants, API-wise

2. enums should work more intuitively from XML-based hints or string
hints (we could make our hint conversion stuff know to try to reflect on
enums based on their names)

3. Since these concepts are exactly the same as the Connection
constants, in JDBCFetchConfiguration, we should just use them and not
redefine the wheel.

Thoughts?

-Patrick

--