openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject [DISCUSS] OpenJPA Graduation
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:49:49 GMT
OpenJPA has done a great job of forming a diverse community around a
great code base whose IP has been reviewed and approved for release,
and we're now a well-functioning, project in the incubator. So we are
now at the stage when we should think about when and how to leave the
incubator and graduate to the larger Apache community. The document
at [1] describes readiness to graduate.

There are two courses for graduating projects: to become an
independent Apache TLP or to join an existing TLP as a sub-project. I
believe that OpenJPA should become its own TLP for a few reasons: the
community is already very diverse and has established a good working
style; and there is no existing TLP upon which OpenJPA depends. There
is some synergy with the DB project but no dependency relationship.

As a TLP, OpenJPA would operate independent from other TLPs and be
responsible to the Apache board. As a TLP, the OpenJPA community
would decide on offering committerships to the project, and what and
when to release, subject to the regulations of the ASF.

So what does everyone think?

Craig

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Process_Description.html#Graduation