openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] OpenJPA Graduation
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:35:27 GMT

On Apr 23, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> I'm personally rather neutral on whether OpenJPA should be a TLP
> vs. a sub-project. TLP seems like it allows us more flexibility and
> independence, so by default I would lean towards being a TLP.

That's my main concern as well.

> However, I do notice that the DB TLP already holds other similar
> projects (Torque, OJB, and Apache JDO), so I wonder if the Apache
> board would ask questions about why they should be handled
> differently.

There have been discussions in Apache about umbrella projects being
undesirable, and the trend is toward breaking them up where there is
no interdependence. There have been concerns expressed at the board
level about "DB becoming an umbrella prokect [sic]", and about "if
Geronimo is not to become an umbrella". [1]

There are benefits in having small projects being part of a bigger
TLP. There is no "fixed overhead" for a small project to have a PMC
chair to have to report status to the board, maintain committers and
PMC members lists, monitor board meetings, monitor incubating
projects, and monitor legal and community issues for the board. I
don't think OpenJPA should try to avoid responsibility for these tasks.

Craig

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2006/
board_minutes_2006_01_18.txt

> On Apr 23, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> OpenJPA has done a great job of forming a diverse community around
>> a great code base whose IP has been reviewed and approved for
>> release, and we're now a well-functioning, project in the
>> incubator. So we are now at the stage when we should think about
>> when and how to leave the incubator and graduate to the larger
>> Apache community. The document at [1] describes readiness to
>> graduate.
>>
>> There are two courses for graduating projects: to become an
>> independent Apache TLP or to join an existing TLP as a sub-
>> project. I believe that OpenJPA should become its own TLP for a
>> few reasons: the community is already very diverse and has
>> established a good working style; and there is no existing TLP
>> upon which OpenJPA depends. There is some synergy with the DB
>> project but no dependency relationship.
>>
>> As a TLP, OpenJPA would operate independent from other TLPs and be
>> responsible to the Apache board. As a TLP, the OpenJPA community
>> would decide on offering committerships to the project, and what
>> and when to release, subject to the regulations of the ASF.
>>
>> So what does everyone think?
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
>> Process_Description.html#Graduation