openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject More questions on runtime schema generation
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:17:37 GMT
I'm working on modifications so that ddl can operate in a separate
transaction on a connection from the jta ds and I would like to have
a complete scan and enhancement as soon as possible when the EMF is
first accessed.  I have this working when the classes are listed
explicitly in the persistence.xml but not when they aren't.

It looks like the relevant code is AbstractCFMetaDataFactory
getPersistentTypeNames

             if (names.isEmpty() && devpath)
                 scan(new ClasspathMetaDataIterator(null,
newMetaDataFilter()),
                     newClassArgParser(), names, false, null);

However IIUC this dissects the system property java.class.path and
only parses stuff on that.  This might be reasonable for a command
line tool (although I have some doubts) but it seems to me that for
any other situation a scan of the provided classloader would be more
appropriate.  Is this reasonable?

Also, I would like to suggest a flag in the
openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings=buildSchema(...) stuff to turn on
this eager scanning I'm trying to implement.  Does this seem reasonable?

thanks
david jencks