openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: org.apache.openjpa.persistence.test.PersistenceTestCase
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:54:34 GMT

On Mar 6, 2007, at 9:42 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> Which class should we use as the real base class?
>
> Hmm. SingleEMTest does have a lot more functionality, but one downside
> of it is that it obfuscates our test cases a bit, making them less
> useful as examples of JPA code usage.

Obfuscation should be eschewed.

>> Which project does it belong in?
>
> Sadly, in maven, there is no way (that I know of) for one module to
> extend test classes defined in a different module.

IIRC, you can declare binary dependencies for test as well as src
code. True, you cannot have sources in two different modules but
we're just looking for a binary dependency, right?

OOTH, some of the things I'd like to see in the base class for
persistence are EMF and EM, so they don't really belong too far
upstream.

> Additionally, when
> run, tests do not include the contexts of downstream modules. These
> two
> facts mean that any end-to-end test must be in openjpa-persistence-
> jdbc
> or somewhere downstream of it, and that the base class for end-to-end
> tests must be in the same module, even though it's not JDBC-specific.
>
> I can see a case for moving the tests in openjpa-persistence-jdbc to
> openjpa-jdbc-tests or something like that, but we sadly can't move the
> base class up to openjpa-persistence, even though it seems like it
> belongs there.

We can try to declare the base test case in e.g. kernel and declare a
binary dependency in persistence-jdbc.

I'll ping the maven team and see if I can get some clarity there.

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey