openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @Dependent annotation vs cascade=ALL
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:45:50 GMT
Abe,
Your explanation in your reply was much clearer (IMHO) than the current
documentation.  I will take a stab at improving the wording so that the
meaning and differences are more pronounced.  I will also link the two
sections of the document.  Thanks.

One clarification...  Using Magazine and Article from the doc's example, if
a field (Article) is marked as @Dependent and the owning object (Magazine)
is deleted, then cascading this delete operation down to the Article object
is the same as specifying cascade=REMOVE (or ALL) on the relationship
annotation.  Correct?  It seems that the added benefit of the @Dependent
family of annotations is to aid with the orphan object deletion when the
Article field is just nulled out.

Thanks,
Kevin