openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move to TestNG?
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:57:41 GMT

Here's a good article comparing TestNG with JUnit:

    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cq08296/

IMO, the groups feature is nice, but isn't necessarily sufficient to
justify a lot of effort porting over tests (since we could always
just check a system property before running expected failure tests or
something). However, one feature that does sound very nice is their
support for parametric testing. If I understand it correctly, this
would allow us to automatically run tests against various data model
implementations. This would be nice, because we could have a set of
interfaces for data models and implementations that vary their
mapping details (single-table mapping, table-per-class mapping,
joined mapping, mappings with attributes in secondary tables, orm.xml
mappings, etc), and transparently run the same tests against each of
the data models. This would dramatically expand the completeness of
our tests, since historically we have only done things like
TestJustAFewSimpleOperationsAgaintCompositePrimaryKeyClasses,
TestSomeOtherNuanceOfEmbeddedRelations, etc.

Also, note that I don't think that using TestNG vs. JUnit is
necessarily an xor proposition: I think that Maven's surefire harness
can run against both frameworks simultaneously, and aggregate the
test results. I'm not sure though.

I'll play around with it a little bit today and let you all know the
results.