openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Can enhancer operate on jar files?
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:42:13 GMT
Hi Dain,

In answer to your original question, yes I agree that it would be
nice to have an option for batch enhancement to take a jar file as
the source, enhance the classes and interfaces found therein, and
repackage the jar file.

A few items for discussion: the jar file can't be signed. We need
some way to tell the enhancer about the jar file. Does it make sense
to have any more than one jar file as input? Does it make sense to
require that all the metadata be contained in the jar file itself, or
can metadata be provided as an external resource? Should we have an
option to create a new jar file as output instead of overwriting the
input jar file?

Please file a JIRA so we don't lose it...

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. Have you installed Apple's latest/gratest Java update?

On Feb 21, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:
>
>>> It is kind of a pain to unpack a jar, enhance it and repack it.
>> How about compile, enhance and then jar?
>
> That implies that I'm that own the development cycle of this code.
> In this case, I just get a jar from the user.
>
>>> Can the OpenJPA enhancer operate on a Jar file?
>> If runtime enhancement is in effect via
>> (-javaagent:/path/to/openjpa.jar) then the unenhanced persistent
>> domain
>> classes be packed into a jar and referred in persistence.xml in
>> <jar-file> tag. The classes will get enhanced as they are loaded
>> in JVM
>> but original jar will remain unaltered.
>
> I was attempting to not use runtime enhancement due to vm hangs,
> but I think the problem is in the Apple VM itself now.
>
> -dain

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!