openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: possible to write a JPA Query to that filters both an Entity and its relationship entities?
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:09:12 GMT
So,

I can tell you that having a result column that is filtered in the
query is not what a user would expect. In JDO, the oldtimers column
would be filtered.

In fact, you have to do a bit of work to get SQL to return you non-
filtered instances. So I don't get it. Does OpenJPA not construct the
obvious SQL that filters oldtimers?

I've re-read the JPA specification, and it appears to be silent on
the issue of filtering. Is this a portability issue?

Craig

On Feb 23, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Tom Mutdosch wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
> Thanks for the query suggestion.  I guess what I was initially
> thinking of doing was incorrect in that JPA doesn't really give me
> a "view" of what I want.  That is, I can never get a Department
> object containing a list of filtered Employees.  A JPA object
> returned from a query is always going to be an exact representation
> of the database.  So your Department object is always going to
> contain all of the Employees in its relationship.
>
> So like you mentioned, I can still get all the information using
> one query, and then just process those results as I want them.  I
> imagine that this would entail some sort of wrapper bean that would
> house the Department and the filtered list of Employees.  Or what
> if I added a regular method to my Department entity called
> getFilterEmployees() which would return a List that I populated
> with the filtered results from my query?  Does that seem like a
> reasonable thing to do -- if I didn't want to deal with a wrapper
> object but still have all of my desired data captured by a single
> Entity?
> Thanks
> Tom
>

> Patrick Linskey wrote:
>> It is, but it doesn't buy you much in this situation -- the oldTimers
>> collection in your example won't be filtered to just the ones that
>> are
>> old. It'll be all the employees in the dept.
>>
>> -Patrick

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!