openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Mutdosch <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: possible to write a JPA Query to that filters both an Entity and its relationship entities?
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:57:48 GMT
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the query suggestion.  I guess what I was initially thinking
of doing was incorrect in that JPA doesn't really give me a "view" of
what I want.  That is, I can never get a Department object containing a
list of filtered Employees.  A JPA object returned from a query is
always going to be an exact representation of the database.  So your
Department object is always going to contain all of the Employees in its
relationship.

So like you mentioned, I can still get all the information using one
query, and then just process those results as I want them.  I imagine
that this would entail some sort of wrapper bean that would house the
Department and the filtered list of Employees.  Or what if I added a
regular method to my Department entity called getFilterEmployees() which
would return a List that I populated with the filtered results from my
query?  Does that seem like a reasonable thing to do -- if I didn't want
to deal with a wrapper object but still have all of my desired data
captured by a single Entity?

Thanks
Tom