openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Why do we capture the call stack when close() is called?
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:38:36 GMT

On Feb 8, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> It's there for debugging purposes. We could probably check for
> TRACE-level logging; if not enabled, the exception would not be
> created
> and the assertion would include a localized string instructing the
> user
> to turn on TRACE logging to get the closure point.

I like this. If you get an exception because your code accidentally
called close(), it's really nice to be able to track it down instead
of inserting a hundred printf's. But we should strive to avoid
generating unnecessary stack traces because of the performance.

+1 to check the log level and only capture and throw the call stack
on close if the user is running TRACE.

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> --