openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: possible to write a JPA Query to that filters both an Entity and its relationship entities?
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:22:22 GMT
I'm no JPA expert, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

How about searching the other direction:

  select e from employee e where e.department.depno >= 100 &&
e.yearsOfService >= 15

Then assuming OpenJPA can do it, you could tune the query to grab the
department object along with the employee.  If OpenJPA can't do that,
you will get at most 100+1 queries.  Alternatively, you could try
executing this query before the one above:

   select d from Department d WHERE d.deptno >= 100

And then rely on the OpenJPA cache to hook the departments to the
employees.  Depending on the database vendor and the data in the
tables, executing two queries may be more efficient then one.

-dain