openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject Re: openjpa logging
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:06:48 GMT
> So the assumption is that the caller will log the appropriate
> exception-related message if such an exception is caught?

We're throwing an exception.  The user has to do something with it.
It is a trivial matter for him to log it if that's what he chooses to
do, but I would expect much more sophisticated handling of exceptions
by most users -- handling based on the operation in question and what
behavior might be expected.

> The processing that I am used to is to log any unexpected
> exceptions when
> calling out to an external plugin or feature.

All exceptions we encounter are unexpected.  We can't tell the
difference between a database error caused by the user's illegal
actions and one caused by an internal database error.

In my experience, you either throw an exception or log it.  When you
do both, you just end up with repeats of the same exception logged
repeatedly as it propagates.

by email and then delete it.