openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: openjpa logging
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:36:43 GMT
Abe,

On 1/22/07, Abe White <awhite@bea.com> wrote:

> OpenJPA does not log exceptions that are thrown to your code.

So the assumption is that the caller will log the appropriate
exception-related message if such an exception is caught?

The processing that I am used to is to log any unexpected exceptions when
calling out to an external plugin or feature.  For example, when performing
the query in Ritika's example, we're calling out to an external database --
DB2, Oracle, Derby, etc.  Each of these may process the request
differently.  If we get an exception from the database, it seems like we
should be logging that exception.  At least at the Trace or Debug level.  As
Ritika has pointed out, if we leave this up to our caller, then we may
experience customer sat issues.

Thoughts?

Kevin