openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sql statement batching
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:39:51 GMT
Marc,
Concerning the infrastructure for sql batching support...  Do you mean that
this support is pluggable into the OpenJPA runtime?  That is, is there a
pluggable interface for other vendors to provide support for sql batching?
Or, is it just that the runtime could be updated to support sql batching
(and then the source would be out of synch with the OpenJPA repository)?

I'm just trying to assess the impact for this "removed" function.  If each
vendor that incorporates OpenJPA needs to modify their version of the
runtime to provide sql batching support (and it's a common feature), then
the consistency of OpenJPA will be impacted.

>From Dave's note, it seems like we have a mistake in the user's guide (at a
minimum).  But, even if the "addBatch limit" is taken out of the user's
guide, then as each vendor adds this support back in (for performance
reasons), the configuration of this feature may also vary from one vendor to
the next.

I'm still trying to gather some "real data" to demonstrate the performance
advantages of sql batching (or lack there of).  But, if Dave's comments are
accurate, then maybe we need to consider re-introducing the sql batching
support.  Not only for performance reasons, but also for runtime and
configuration consistency reasons.

My two cents worth...  :-)

Kevin