openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wisneski" <wisnes...@gmail.com>
Subject sql statement batching
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:11:08 GMT
Does OpenJPA support sql batching (i.e. the jdbc addBatch api on a
prepared Statement)?  The user's  guide shows how to set the addBatch
limit, but  it does not work.  It would appear that if there was code
to do this it was removed.

I think that most ORM runtimes support this feature and we will be at
a competitive disadvantage with Hibernate and TopLink without it.  It
is very important when creating and persist many new object of the
same type in one transaction (i.e. persisting 1000 new Customer beans)
or doing many updates ( updating the salary on 1000 Employee beans).
I know that addBatch performance vs. doing multiple jdbc executeUpdate
makes a big differrent in DB2 -- and I would assume also other
databases.

 If the code was there and removed -- any thoughts about adding it
back in?  Otherwise we would most likely have to develop it for our
enterprise customer.