openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brady <dbr...@pobox.com>
Subject Should UserTransaction Work?
Date Mon, 01 Jan 2007 19:52:25 GMT
I cannot get UserTransaction to work.

Nothing happens when I commit.

This consists of:

- Using a JTA datasource
- specifying Bean Managed Transaction rather then CMT on the enclosing
session Bean.
- looking up a UserTransaction with:
     UserTransaction userTran = (UserTransaction) initCtx
                .lookup("java:comp/UserTransaction");

 then doing a begin on it, some entity lookup and changes, and a commit.

Could anyone tell me if this should work?

This is under WebSphere 6.1.

As background, I am able to get a JTA data source to work fine if I use
Container Managed Transactions rather than BMT.  The problem with that
approach for me is that I am calling the session Bean as a
web-service-enable endpoint.  If I leave committing the transaction
entirely to JTA, the commit  is done after all of my web service code
has exited and any errors are thrown as soap faults.   I want to be able
to catch the error and analyze it before returning from the web
service.  I can also do this fine with Resource Local Transactions but
then I do not get the benefits of a JTA datasource managed by WebSphere.

So I am trying to use JTA with BMT which I believe would allow me to
catch errors on commit.

If this is too much of  a user question for this list, please let me
know.....

Thanks!

Don