openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Abe White <awh...@bea.com>
Subject Re: openjpa logging
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:35:15 GMT
> Since the time that we implemented that, we added logic (the
> RuntimeExceptionTranslator interface and its implementors) that takes
> care of translating from internal exception types to spec-defined
> exception types across the board. We certainly could move the logic
> for
> logging at the trace level from BrokerImpl.afterCompletion() to that
> boundary code. Since we (try to) guarantee that all exceptions that
> make
> it to the user pass through the PersistenceExceptions class for
> translation, that would be a nice uniform place to do the work.

Exception translation isn't 100%, though.  For example, when someone
grabs the Connection from us and uses it, we don't do any exception
translation.

I don't mind logging exceptions in trace mode, but I do think it's
very difficult to maintain complete coverage without any duplicate
exceptions being logged.  And I still feel that given our strategy of
always nesting the original exception as the cause of the exception
we throw to the user, it's mostly unnecessary.

by email and then delete it.