openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Flush all caches?
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:58:29 GMT

On Dec 11, 2006, at 2:41 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Interesting indeed. It's behavior that can be implemented just by an
> appserver, but Kodo also has properties to handle the work internally.
> You might be triggering that behavior by using a PUInfo to initialize;
> how are you doing that exactly?

Easy. Create an implementation of PUInfo, create one, populate it,
and pass it to OpenJPA.

> The spec defines that the way to get
> "application-managed" EMs is via a call to
> Persistence.createEntityManager(). "Container-managed" EMs come from
> PersistenceProvider.createContainerEntityManager() (or something like
> that).

App managed em suck because you can't use JTA transactions.  Also I'm
targeting an app managed environment, but I don't want to run in it
with small tests.

> It's really surprising that the cache would get updated but the
> database
> would not. The cache should not be populated until after the SQL
> statements are issued. Are you seeing things in the database that
> do not
> correspond with what you see in the SQL logs?

In every case so far, it was because I didn't have my mappings
correct or I missed one, so OpenJPA just treats it as a transient field.

>> I'm really working on a replacement for the OpenEJB Castor CMP
>> container that uses OpenJPA instead. I'm just hacking in the CMRs
>> right now, hence all the relationship questions.  I hope to have the
>> basics done in a few days.
>
> Ah. That probably explains it. JPA is designed kinda to assume that
> you
> manage both sides of relationships in your own domain code, since
> it can
> get tricky to do the right thing with raw exposed lists etc.

That's what I'm coding.. the update both sides stuff

> OpenJPA
> does have some inverse management capabilities that go a certain
> extent
> towards the same behavior as CMR in EJB2. Check out the docs on the
> openjpa.InverseManager property.

Sweet!  I'll look for that.  It may not work since I need to wrap and
unwrap ejb proxies.

-dain