openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: release notes?
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:39:46 GMT
On 11/1/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:
> > Alternately, we could always just start "fresh" and act as if
> > it were
> > a new project, in which case, we wouldn't have to migrate over the
> > release notes.
>
> Starting fresh is fine by me; I just had a couple tweaks and fixes that
> I wanted to add to docs somewhere.

one major difference between closed and open source projects is that
open source project should produce a source distribution (a plain
export of the source used to create the binary distributions).
(direct) users typically prefer the binaries but archivists,
(potential) developers and downstream packagers typically prefer
source.

so, it's good practice to include the release notes in a root
directory so that they can be found by those using the source
distribution. it's also best to have these release notes formatted as
plain text. they can then be used to create announcements for
grassroots news (announcments on the apache lists and freshmeat, for
example).

it's fine to repeat the notes in the document in the docs section
formatted appropriately.

- robert