openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.5-incubating podling release
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 05:11:32 GMT
  Great job on this release -- we're really down to nitty-little
detail issues with the distribution.  More detailed comments are below
-- the highlights fall into two major buckets:

#1: information needed in NOTICE.txt.  This refers to the ActiveMQ
project; it also needs to refer to the source files for the binary
persistence-api JAR file as per the CDDL 1.0 license.  More
information on ASF policy relative to this license is here:

  http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

Additionally, NOTICE.txt should contain the copyrights for 3rd party
Serp / persistence-api JARs.  For example:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/NOTICE.txt

#2: ASF source headers.  There are a bunch of files in the source
distribution that don't have source headers.  There's a great tool
that one of the Incubator PMC members wrote that checks for these
headers.  It's super easy to checkout, build, and run and can be found
here:

    http://code.google.com/p/arat/

These are listed below.

  -1 until #1 is fixed because we need to be compliant with licenses
of bundled 3rd party JARs.  I'd suggest fixing #2 as well but leave
that to the community to decide -- though the Incubator PMC is looking
more closely at license headers these days.  :)

Eddie

=====
Items checked:
  - md5 signatures
  - sha1 signatures
  - license headers on archived files
  - example builds and runs
  - documentation looks good
  - license compatibility of JAR files

Issues that should be addressed before release:
- NOTICE.txt references the "ActiveMQ" distribution
- as per CDDL 1.0, NOTICE.txt must refer to the source for the
persistence-api sources.  For more information about including CDDL
1.0 licensed binaries, see:
  http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
- source archive includes sun/misc/Perf.java
- files missing license files:
  <binary>/examples/META-INF/persistence.xml
  <source>:
    - **/*.properties
    - **/pom.xml
    - **/*.xml
    - **/*.rsrc
    - **/JPQL.jjt
    - **/*.ProductDerivation
    - **/*.ExpressionParser
    - **/*.PersistenceProvider
- Java files without LICENSE headers -- there were 17 of these.  Found using:
    find . -name "*.java" -exec grep --files-without-match "LICENSE" {} ;
- openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating.pom missing license header

Minor issues:
- Javadoc includes a couple of extraneous classes
  sun.misc.Perf
  hellojpa.Main
  hellojpa.Message
- JARs are named "openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating" but unzip into
"openjpa-0.9.6-incubating"
- distribution files that can be removed
  openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating-binary.zip.asc.md5
  openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating-binary.zip.asc.sha1
  openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating-source.zip.asc.md5
  openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating-source.zip.asc.sha1
- no .tar.gz archives