openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [SECOND ATTEMPT] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:22:15 GMT
Geir-

On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I see two issues.
>
> The first, which I'm not so sure of, is that I thought that the
> m2.... was for jars and stuff packaged ready for maven. Maybe maven
> can deal w/ deps as zips.  Dunno.

AFAIK, Maven can deal with any arbitrary artifact type as a
dependency. Whether or not the assembly files make sense as part of
the Maven repository is another question.

As I say, since Maven bundled the assembly into the repository
automatically, and we've been trying to do things the "Maven way", I
didn't see any reason not to utilize that feature.

> The second is that I thought the m2-.... directory was for things
> that were released.  Clearly, before we've approved the artifacts,
> they aren't released.

I had wondered about that. Looking at past incubation release votes
for other projects (ServiceMIX, at http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/200609.mbox/%
3cb23ecedc0609110406v7e21927fgb2c32e26588013b2@mail.gmail.com%3e ,
and ActiveMQ, at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-
activemq-dev/200609.mbox/%
3caf2843cd0609080653r5ed4c55dp6261f39eab765b3f@mail.gmail.com%3e ), I
saw that they had both published the release artifacts to the
incubating repository just like we did for this OpenJPA release, and
both of those release votes wound up being approved.

Also, if we don't advertise that the files are available in that
directory, are they considered to be released?

Finally, is this issue going to derail the vote, or are we discussing
it for future consideration of release mechanics?