openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Branch or tag?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:03:10 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On Nov 21, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> Since there is always the possibility of maintaining a
>> branch, we need a tag
>> to represent the beginning of that branch -- with no changes
>> ever being
>> committed to the tag.
>
> Really? I was under the assumption that svn took care of remembering
> where the branch was moved from, thus getting rid of the need for the
> extra branch and simplifying merging. But I could be wrong, as I've
> never merged in svn.

All of these tags and branches are just a convenience for people so
they don't have to scour the svn commit log to figure out what bits
are where.

So when you create a branch, you could always remember which svn
version that was and recreate the branch as it existed from the
version number when you branched. But once you change the branch, I
think what we really want to remember is the final version that was
released, so if we need to go back and say "now, what were those
released bits created from?" then we simply check out the tag and we
have the sources that were used for the release.

Craig

> -Patrick
> _
> contain