openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Branch or tag?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:16:08 GMT
I was thinking about this a bunch yesterday, and came up with the following:

1. Moving forward, I think that we'll eventually start doing different
projects in different branches. In the past, for a project of this size,
I've seen a lot of success using a mainline approach, where the bulk of new
development happens on the mainline, and we make branches for hardening
before a release. So, sometime before 1.0 is released, we'd have a 1.0
branch, and non-1.0 related new projects would happen in the mainline.

2. Given the back-and-forth vote process (which will hopefully get
streamlined over time as we get everything in place and automate things), it
seems like we might want to build releases from yet another branch, to keep
unwanted work out of the branches. This might be a non-issue in the future,
though, if we're already doing #1 above.

3. If we care about point 2, one option might be to create a new directory
(/releases or /branches/releases, for example) that we release from.
However, my gut instinct is that if we do #1, this won't be an issue.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.