openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@bea.com>
Subject Localizer.forPackage() and startup time
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 00:22:54 GMT
Hi,

I'm investigating ways to optimize startup time a bit, and one thing
that I ran across is resource bundle overhead in calls to
Localizer.forPackage() calls. I'm working on a patch that defers all of
the Localizer.forPackage() overhead to the first use of the localizer,
instead of eagerly looking for data.

This will mean slightly more overhead on all Localizer method
invocations, but localization generally only happens when writing log /
error messages, so it seems like it's fair to increase the overhead in
those situations in exchange for eliminating the overhead in normal
usage (i.e., when the localizer is not used).

Since we obtain Localizer instances statically, this should speed up the
first load of any class that has a Localizer reference.

What do others think about this tradeoff?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.