openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Making a release
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:51:10 GMT
Hi Marc,

I missed Patrick's message. Maybe it's stuck in spam limbo.

On Nov 12, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:
>
>> I think that the issue is that the thing that is voted on is the tag.
>
> Is that actually right? My understanding was that the thing that is
> voted on is the artifacts (in this case, the binary and source zip
> archives), and that the VCS is not a fundamental part of the
> release voting process.

The thing that is voted on is the signed artifacts that by definition
are not in svn. The tag is just the way you can reproduce the release
bits without too much effort.

>> Additional work might be happening as the vote proceeds; that
>> additional
>> work may or may not be ready for prime-time.

Right.

>> I expect that over time, we'll be branching earlier anyways and doing
>> destabilizing work on a branch separate from the release candidate
>> branch.

It's difficult to know in advance what the community will require to
take a release branch and clean it up enough to release. People find
bugs; they want to add one more easy but worthwhile feature;
regressions are discovered during testing of other components...

> True, but my question is whether we should make branches for the
> sole purpose of cutting a release or not, which is why I was
> wondering if actually saves effort or not.

If we are willing to freeze the trunk while cutting a release, then
there is no need for a release branch. That includes changing the
poms from SNAPSHOT to normal. And this means no nightly builds while
releasing, which for me is a deal breaker.

Craig

>> -Patrick
>>
>> --
>> Patrick Linskey
>> BEA Systems, Inc.

>> __
>> contain
>> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
>> affiliated
>> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
>> and/or
>> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
>> individual
>> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
>> recipient,
>> and have received this message in error, please immediately return
>> this
>> by email and then delete it.

Craig Russell