openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [SECOND ATTEMPT] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:13:40 GMT

On Nov 13, 2006, at 5:33 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>> Geir-
>> On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I see two issues.
>>>
>>> The first, which I'm not so sure of, is that I thought that the
>>> m2.... was for jars and stuff packaged ready for maven. Maybe
>>> maven can deal w/ deps as zips.  Dunno.
>> AFAIK, Maven can deal with any arbitrary artifact type as a
>> dependency. Whether or not the assembly files make sense as part
>> of the Maven repository is another question.
>> As I say, since Maven bundled the assembly into the repository
>> automatically, and we've been trying to do things the "Maven way",
>> I didn't see any reason not to utilize that feature.
>
> Ok - does anyone put that zip as a maven dep and download it?
> That's what I'm trying to figure out - really, just learning
> something about maven.

AFAIK, maven handles dependencies as jar files.

The issue here is where a project is supposed to publish artifacts
that are intended to be available to the team to be voted on. This is
an incubator or infrastructure issue.

Also note that this is not the only project having trouble with infra
policy. Here's a recent rant:

> <rant>
> I would very *MUCH* appreciate if infra would at some point talk to
> each other and create a consistent policy regarding these releases
> and not just about everyone creates another knee-jerked rule.
>
> We (as in Turbine and Velocity) had our nightlies in the
> www.apache.org/dist directory at some point and got flamed 'because
> this gets picked up by all the mirrors and cause unneccessary
> bandwith especially for the nightlies'. So we moved them into
> another place (cvs.apache.org/dist). These suddently were moved to
> people.apache.org/dist without any notification to the projects.
>
> No someone else comes along and says 'Oh no, that is wrong, please
> use www.apache.org/dist'.
>
> COME ON FOLKS! We are trying to provide links to our nightlies and
> betas *FOR OUR USERS*. How often should we move them? We are
> already moving in circles. There were policies drafted up and put
> into SVN. And now suddently someone comes along with 'oh, BTW, I
> just changed that', back to square one *WITHOUT ANY
> DISCUSSION*?????? THAT CAN'T BE IT!
> </rant>
>
> The right thing here is IMHO to back up the nightlies / beta
> directory, not move the nightlies / betas into an existing directory.
>

> 	Regards
> 		Henning

I'll point out that Henning is no newbie.

Let's not change course for this release, but follow that discussion
in infra.

Craig

>>> The second is that I thought the m2-.... directory was for things
>>> that were released.  Clearly, before we've approved the
>>> artifacts, they aren't released.
>> I had wondered about that. Looking at past incubation release
>> votes for other projects (ServiceMIX, at http://mail-
>> archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/200609.mbox/%
>> 3cb23ecedc0609110406v7e21927fgb2c32e26588013b2@mail.gmail.com%3e ,
>> and ActiveMQ, at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-
>> activemq-dev/200609.mbox/%
>> 3caf2843cd0609080653r5ed4c55dp6261f39eab765b3f@mail.gmail.com%
>> 3e ), I saw that they had both published the release artifacts to
>> the incubating repository just like we did for this OpenJPA
>> release, and both of those release votes wound up being approved.
>> Also, if we don't advertise that the files are available in that
>> directory, are they considered to be released?
>
> I hope you don't do software security ;)
>
>> Finally, is this issue going to derail the vote, or are we
>> discussing it for future consideration of release mechanics?
>
> No, this shouldn't change the vote, because it doesn't change the
> package that we're looking at, just where it is.  Next time, just
> put it on your personal account at apache :
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~<whatever>
>
> geir
>
>>> So it would probably be better not to have them there.
>>>
>>> geir

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!