openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [SECOND ATTEMPT] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:33:05 GMT

Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> Geir-
>
> On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> I see two issues.
>>
>> The first, which I'm not so sure of, is that I thought that the m2....
>> was for jars and stuff packaged ready for maven. Maybe maven can deal
>> w/ deps as zips.  Dunno.
>
> AFAIK, Maven can deal with any arbitrary artifact type as a dependency.
> Whether or not the assembly files make sense as part of the Maven
> repository is another question.
>
> As I say, since Maven bundled the assembly into the repository
> automatically, and we've been trying to do things the "Maven way", I
> didn't see any reason not to utilize that feature.

Ok - does anyone put that zip as a maven dep and download it?  That's
what I'm trying to figure out - really, just learning something about maven.

>> The second is that I thought the m2-.... directory was for things that
>> were released.  Clearly, before we've approved the artifacts, they
>> aren't released.
>
> I had wondered about that. Looking at past incubation release votes for
> other projects (ServiceMIX, at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/200609.mbox/%3cb23ecedc0609110406v7e21927fgb2c32e26588013b2@mail.gmail.com%3e

> , and ActiveMQ, at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-activemq-dev/200609.mbox/%3caf2843cd0609080653r5ed4c55dp6261f39eab765b3f@mail.gmail.com%3e

> ), I saw that they had both published the release artifacts to the
> incubating repository just like we did for this OpenJPA release, and
> both of those release votes wound up being approved.
>
> Also, if we don't advertise that the files are available in that
> directory, are they considered to be released?

I hope you don't do software security ;)

> Finally, is this issue going to derail the vote, or are we discussing it
> for future consideration of release mechanics?

No, this shouldn't change the vote, because it doesn't change the
package that we're looking at, just where it is.  Next time, just put it
on your personal account at apache :

   http://people.apache.org/~<whatever>

geir

>> So it would probably be better not to have them there.
>>
>> geir
>>

>> Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>>> By "there", do you mean "beneath the
>>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/openjpa/
>>> directory", or do you mean "included in the same section as the m2
>>> jars"?
>>> I.e., are you suggesting that we should deploy to a separate staging
>>> directory for the duration of voting, or are you suggesting that we
>>> should change the way artifacts are bundled and uploaded?

Web