openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Making a release
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:45:11 GMT
Hi Marc,

On Nov 12, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Craig-
>
> The only difference is that we initially branch from the trunk and
> perform the updates to the pom.xml files there, and then release
> against the branch, correct?

Yes.

> I don't necessarily object to releasing off of a branch, but does
> it really save any effort? After all, if release candidate problems
> exist (as they have the last couple times I tried to create a
> release), then so therefore commit changes to the branch, we'll
> still need to perform the additional step of merging the changes in
> the branch back into the trunk, right?

Assuming that all the release issues apply to the trunk as well,
which is not necessarily everything. The issue is that if you don't
branch, until you have a release, the trunk is stuck at the release
level which means you can't have nightly builds of SNAPSHOT or do any
future development on trunk. And my experience is that it takes a
minimum of a week or two from the time you want to do a release to
the time the release is ready to be tagged.

Craig

> [...]
>> SNAPSHOT suffix:
>> {code:none}

>> incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>;g" pom.xml */pom.xml
>> {code}
>> # Commit the POM changes in the trunk
>> {code:none}
>> svn commit -m "Updated to version 0.9.7-incubating-SNAPSHOT"
>> {code}
>> # Change to the branch for the new release for the following steps
>> # Update the POMs to remove "-SNAPSHOT" from the version. If you
>> have perl installed, you can easily do it with a single command:
>> {code:none}
>> perl -pi -e 's;<version>0.9.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT</
>> version>;<version>0.9.6-incubating</version>;g' pom.xml */pom.xml
>> {code}
>> # Commit the POM changes
>> {code:none}
>> svn commit -m "Updated to version 0.9.6-incubating"
>> {code}
>> # Perform the build with documentation and install it in the local
>> repository (this step is required because there is a bug in
>> Maven's javadoc generation aggregated between multiple modules):
>> {code:none}
>> mvn clean install -Pdocbook-profile,sign-release
>> {code}
>> {note}This operation will also sign the release artifacts with the
>> *gpg* utility using the <username>@apache.org key. If your code
>> signing key is under a different address, specify it by appending
>> the following argument to the command above: -
>> Dopenjpa.release.keyAlias=mysigningalias@somedomain.org{note}
>> # Verify the signatures:
>> {code:none}
>> gpg --multifile --verify openjpa-project/target/assembly/*.asc
>> {code}
>> # Build the javadocs and perform the deploy upload:
>> {code:none}
>> mvn verify deploy -Pjavadoc-profile,sign-release
>> {code}
>> # Start a vote for the release on the [mailto:open-jpa-
>> dev@incubator.apache.org] mailing list. For an example of the
>> mail, see [this  archived vote|http://mail-archives.apache.org/
>> mod_mbox/incubator-open-jpa-dev/200611.mbox/%3c07C7A237-DE80-4BC5-
>> B33D-2B8CDFEF21B7@apache.org%3e]
>> # If the vote is successful after 3 days, mail
>> [mailto:general@incubator.apache.org] starting a vote for
>> authorization to release
>> # Once that vote is successful, update the [http://
>> cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/downloads.html] page with information
>> about the download
>> # Tag the view with the release number:
>> {code:none}
>> svn copy -m "OpenJPA Release 0.9.6-incubating"
>>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/releases/
>> 0.9.6-incubating
>>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/tags/0.9.6-
>> incubating
>> {code}
>> # The branch can now be used to apply patches for future releases
>> using the branch as a basis (e.g. to create 0.9.6.1-incubating).

Craig Russell